Not to be confused with Cave Story 3D.
Cave Story on the Nintendo eShop features...
- The original PC version's music.
- Cave Story+ graphics redone in the original's style, with graphics being displayable in stereoscopic 3D.
- The ability to toggle between the Nintendo 3DS's widescreen 5:3 aspect ratio or the classic's 4:3 aspect ratio.
- Two different control schemes; "Flipped" being the default, where Y/A are used to shoot, and B/X are used to jump, or "Classic", the opposite of flipped.
- Various game modes to choose from, including unlockable challenges.
Game ModesEditGame Modes for Cave Story on the Nintendo eShop include...
- Story Mode - Follows the same gameplay as the original PC version.
- Curly Story - Similar to the original Cave Story, except Quote and Curly Brace swap places, with Curly being the main character. Some events and dialogue are altered.
- Jukebox - Allows players to listen to the full Cave Story soundtrack.
Challenge mode provides a set of tasks to be completed. A stopwatch runs in the background to keep track of the amount of time it takes to finish a challenge. The difficulty setting used is the one on the most recently played save file.
- Sanctuary Time Attack - Get through the Blood Stained Sanctuary and defeat Ballos as fast as possible.
- Boss Attack - Face off against every boss in the game.
Cave Story on the Nintendo eShop has received positive reviews, more so than Cave Story 3D. Nintendo Life gave the game a 9/10, saying, "...it's the most complete version of Cave Story yet." Destructoid gave it a 9.5/10, praising its sharp visuals and content. The game currently has a 93 on Metacritic.
|Real World Topics|
|Games||Cave Story • Cave Story+ • Cave Story 3D • Nintendo eShop • WiiWare • Version differences|
|Development||Pixel • Nicalis • Aeon Genesis|