Cave Story 3D is a 3D remake of Cave Story for the Nintendo 3DS, released on November 8, 2011. It was developed by Nicalis and published by NIS America. It features updated 3D graphics, 3 game modes, and remastered music. It was going to be released June 2011, then August 2011, until it was finally released on November 8, 2011. Early units of the game have a stereoscopic outer cover, which projects Quote and Curly towards you.
- Story Mode (Characters and enemies have new 3D models)
- Sanctuary Time Attack (Unlockable)
- Classic Mode (Characters and enemies are replaced by 3D versions of the original game's sprites)
- 3D graphics
- A soundtrack remade by Danny Baranowsky of Super Meat Boy and Canabalt fame.
- Lots of new Life Capsules were added, as well as various extra HP for interacting with NPCs in the game, increasing the max life to 98 (Not counting Time Attack Mode).
There exists at least one major glitch in the game. In any given area, if you open your inventory then pause the game while still in the inventory and choose another save file, the objects you can interact with in the new area will revert to the ones of the area you were previously in. It is possible to obtain unlimited health, find the Beast Fang, and even teleport back to the side room in the original Egg Corridor, with the Corridor still fully accessible using this.
The game has received positive reputation. Nintendolife gave it a 9/10 admiring the depth and visuals. Gamertell also gave it a 4.5/5. Its highest scores are 5/5s from geekRevolt and Pixel Perfect Gaming, while its lowest score was a 69% from NGamer. It currently has an 84% on Metacritic.
|Real World Topics|
|Games||Cave Story • Cave Story+ • Cave Story 3D • Nintendo eShop • WiiWare • Version differences|
|Development||Pixel • Nicalis • Aeon Genesis|